Need Help with technical issue with chessbase

Moderators: Elijah, Igbo, timetraveller

Sanazk
Forum Contributions
Topics: 17

Post by Sanazk »

Hi everyone, help is really appreciated.
All of the sudden when I run engines on chessbase, the antimalware executable uses a lot of rescources and chessbase starts hanging when using 8 threads (I haven't more i7-4790k). I have reinstalled chessbase 17 and did add the engines and chessbase17.exe and its folder to exceptions with no success, I have to turn off real time protection for it to work.
No problems with other gui's like Fritz18 and Aquarium. Did install old chessbase 15 and did also have the problem with gui hanging when using all the threads. sm59
IbaiBuR

Top contribute Forum
Administrators
Forum Contributions
Medals: 1
Topics: 6

Post by IbaiBuR »

You should not be using full threads. Usually, it is better to leave 1 or 2 threads for the OS...
Hurnavich

Top contribute Forum Book Maker Top Active Users
Administrators
Forum Contributions
Medals: 3
Topics: 112

Post by Hurnavich »

I have 16 cores 32 threads and I always leave 1 core or 2 threads spare for chessbase gui or it freezes
It's fine on all cores in fritz but chessbase gui is power hungry so drop a core then you be fine
"May your next game be your best"
Igbo

Top contribute Forum Book Maker
Global moderators
Forum Contributions
Medals: 2
Topics: 41

Post by Igbo »

As Ibai has told you, all the threads should never be used for the chess engine, they should always be reserved for the operating system or other applications that work in the background. Anyway, if you use Windows go to the firewall and in the allow an application option, add both the gui and the chess engine. Then in advanced options, in entry rules, add everything, that is, private, public and domain. and in the tab that says block crossing the perimeter, change it to allow. Although before doing all this I would make sure that there are no viruses, malware, etc. You can play with the affinity of some programs such as Office, allocating below normal, and with other applications that do not affect the operating system.
I am not an expert in anything, I do not believe in anything, but everything is possible.
Sanazk
Forum Contributions
Topics: 17

Post by Sanazk »

Many thanks for the quick responses. Although it is not necessary to run full threads but it did always work. It didn't bother me alot but the reason why I did reinstall chessbase was that it had started to have also issues with fewer threads. Even with 5. Now after reinstalling 7 threads works again good but not 8. The problem is only limited to chessbase and when I turn off windows defender then again no problem. Again I have all folders and Exe's added to exception but it didn't help, I have to turn off Real Time Protection.
FritzUser

Top contribute Forum
Forum Contributions
Medals: 1
Topics: 27

Post by FritzUser »

Sanazk wrote: 13/12/2023, 22:15 Many thanks for the quick responses. Although it is not necessary to run full threads but it did always work. It didn't bother me alot but the reason why I did reinstall chessbase was that it had started to have also issues with fewer threads. Even with 5. Now after reinstalling 7 threads works again good but not 8. The problem is only limited to chessbase and when I turn off windows defender then again no problem. Again I have all folders and Exe's added to exception but it didn't help, I have to turn off Real Time Protection.
For what it's worth, in just the last couple days I've had to shut down CB 17 while scanning for beauty scores two separate times. The computer all of a sudden just started overworking to an insane degree. They *just* patched the program. That might be the culprit. Or it might have to do with a recent Windows update. If it's in that realm, it's also in the realm of issues that solve themselves, as someone will spot it and take care of it.

Return to “Programming, Technical Discussions, Chess related questions etc.”