Moderators: Elijah, Igbo, timetraveller

denochss

Top contribute Forum
Forum Contributions
Medals: 1
Topics: 35

Chess opening books-Opinions and News.

Post by denochss »

Hello everyone, I would like to comment on your opinions or experiences, regarding the usefulness of chess opening books, on a personal level.

Currently, what do we think that chess opening theoretical books can provide us, or what experiences we have about their usefulness, etc.

Always a pleasure to share.

ok-ok :chess:
denochss

Top contribute Forum
Forum Contributions
Topics: 35

Post by denochss »

I will tell you about my experience.

I started with the idea of ​​creating a chess opening book, in a programmed way, that is, with an assigned training system, when creating an opening book, with the aim of making it competitive and at the same time It helps me when preparing personally for my opening repertoire.

Also, one of my ideas is to share the opening book to provide enrichment at a theoretical level, of chess openings.

Since 2014, I have been constantly updating the NebulaBlue opening book, which I have currently compressed into NebulaRing, to make it more competitive.

Greetings and encourage you to participate in the forum.
Peter Grayson

Top contribute Forum
Forum Contributions
Topics: 170

Post by Peter Grayson »

Chess opening books have a usefulness that falls into several categories.

Dependant on their construction and the games used to create them or in some cases a completely manually created opening book.

Primary uses I have these days is book construction....

1. Using player games over the last 5 years updated and adjusted on a fairly regular basis, they give a quick view of contemporary openings and move choices as well as shifting trends where openings fall into disuse but also new emerging ideas.

2. Generally importing engine games from an external source can be tedious to establish the result integrity but often reading into an opening book can be useful to identify contrasting results in specific lines that may make it easier to establish integrity.

3. Using player games since records began but say at a master level or higher it can throw up some interesting lines for engines where they find some new moves in older lines that can breathe new life into an opening.

4. The ECO move base with limited move extensions beyond the ECO cut off point are useful in identifying opening lines that engines "understand" and thus helpful in building an engine focused book. As far as I can see, there is a difference between engine choice of openings and player choices. Today's engines tend to be safety focused that is revealing itself in far too many short draws where all too often it is the engine playing the White side that plays the repeating moves. Although there are the GM quick draws of convenience where they may wish to finish a game quickly, generally player choices in a competitive environment at the higher levels look for moves that offer the potential of winning opportunities, sometimes though with risk. I doubt if there is an engine that would have that playing characteristic. Let an engine run long enough and in a large percentage of cases the engine will revert its choice to an established move in a particular opening line rather than some offbeat move it may select at shorter times.

5. Books for Blitz and books for longer time control matches through to correspondence chess can vary considerably. Hardware plays a big part too where some longer time control game based books may seem better focused for blitz games on much bigger hardware. The key to a successful blitz book can be move predictability with long move extensions giving time bonuses on the clock but the deep depths are unlikely to be very useful for much longer time controls or correspondence chess where the engine is capable of finding much better moves.

Peter

Return to “Opening Books”